Cheering is for girls or boys in grades k-8. Grades K-1st will participate in the Little Poms program and will cheer during our flag football games. Grades 2nd-8th will cheer for the AYS Football teams at both home and away games. Cheerleading squads are normally broken up by grade to coincide with the football team ages. Depending on the number of sign ups, there may not be one squad per football team.
Field hockey is for kids in grades 2-6. There are generally two teams. One for 2nd - 4th grade and another for grades 5 & 6. Field hockey teams usually play on the weekends and some travel is required for away games. In the past, teams have traveled to Poland, Skowhegan, Mt. Blue and Winthrop. AYS is always looking for other towns to compete against.
Flag Football is for kids in grades K, 1 & 2. The fee for flag football is $30.
Contact football is for boys and girls in grades 3 through 8. Children entering grade 3 in the fall are eligible to register. Teams are broken into 3 groups;
The 3rd through 6th graders play games on Saturdays and will travel to surrounding towns. They are required to supply cleats, a protective cup, and a practice shirt large enough to fit over their shoulder pads.
The 7th and 8th graders normally play on Thursdays. They play middle school programs from several different towns. They are required to supply cleats, and a protective cup.
All athletes should bring their own water bottle and are encouraged not to share drinks.
For grades PreK, Kindergarten. LIttle Kickers is also open to 1st graders that are first year players. If parents wish, their child can repeat Little Kickers or they can sign their 1st grader up for the Juniors Division.
• The focus will be on developing soccer skills, athletic development and having fun.
• Sessions will take place at the SMMS Soccer field every Saturday morning at 9am for soccer activities that will include instruction and group drills.
• We will have small sided scrimmage games with goals the last 2 weeks of the season.
• Each child will receive a shirt and a size 4 soccer ball
• SM Middle School and SM High School soccer players will act as coaches/counselors
Grades 1 & 2
• Focus will be on advancing skill development of passing, dribbling, positioning and fun.
• Games will be every Saturday with 1-2 practices during the week
• Games will be 4 10 minute quarters and 6 v 6 (+ GK)
Grades 3 & 4
• Focus is on fun and developing team play by implementing more of a game strategy as well as improving proper positioning, standard skills and goal scoring.
• Games will be every Saturday with 1-2 practices / week
• Each game will be 4 10-15 minute halves and 10 v 10 (+ GK)
Grades 5 thru 8
• Focus is on fun and developing team play by implementing game strategy as well as maintaining proper positioning, standard skills and goal scoring.
• 1-2 practices / week
• Games will typically take place on Saturday afternoon and will consist of 2 30-40 minute halves in a 10 v 10 (+ GK) set up
• All games will be Saturday from 9am – 2pm at the SMMS and SMHS Soccer complex
• Practice times and locations will be determined by each team coach
Per AYS policy, background checks will be conducted on all members of the Board of Directors, commissioners, coaches and assistant coaches of each sport.
If you need help with the registration process, click here to submit a request, or contact:
For assistance with Cheering,
For assistance with Football,
For assistance with Soccer,
For assistance with Registration,
For more information, visit the Area Youth Sports website at http://www.ayssports.org
This will be your one stop shopping point for all Area Youth Sports programs sign ups. You have the option of paying with a credit card or mailing in a check. Please register with a email address that you use frequently and choose a password that you will remember.
Watch here for upcoming sports registrations.